Meeting notices for Lincoln Board of Education and ESU 18 - June 8, 2021
The following public meetings of the Lincoln Board of Education and Educational Service Unit (ESU) 18 will take place on Tuesday, June 8, at Lincoln Public Schools District Office, 5905 O St.
Board of Education Work Session - 4:30 p.m.
Board of Education Regular Meeting - 6:00 p.m.
(ESU 18 meeting immediately following)
- Board webpage
- LPS YouTube Channel
- LNK TV Education Channel
- Spectrum Channel 1303
- ALLO Channel 23
- Kinetic Channel 1080
- Apple TV and Roku (LNKTV in app store)
The meetings will take place in the boardroom. Members of the public and media may access the meetings via live video streaming or by physically attending the meetings, which are subject to all national, state and local limitations on public gatherings associated with COVID-19. The agendas can be found here: lps.org/board.
Overflow accommodations may need to be implemented to ensure the health and safety of all in attendance.
Participation by citizens
The function of the regular meetings of the Lincoln Board of Education is to conduct the business of the Lincoln Public School District, as distinguished from providing an open citizens’ forum. The Board believes public attendance and participation, when appropriate to the business at hand, is beneficial to the work of the Board and models the importance of civic engagement and civil discourse to the community’s children. In keeping with this belief, the Board encourages and provides an opportunity for public comment, recommendation and advice through the Public Comment agenda item at its regularly held Board meeting, public hearings on important issues facing the District and through many different forms of community engagement.
The following will help guide the Public Comment agenda item at Board Meetings and Public Hearings:
- Persons speaking during Public Comment will be called forward individually by the Board chair to the location identified for such purpose.
- A time limit of five minutes will be allotted for any speaker. At the discretion of the chair, the speaker may be allotted additional time. Board members may share, address or consider comments from the public during public comment, at the end of public comment or when related business is on the agenda.
- Each individual speaking to the Board will be required to identify himself or herself prior to giving public comment. A “Record of Appearance” card is provided for this purpose.
- Persons wishing to appear will be heard in the order in which the chair of the meeting determines appropriate.
- In cases where more than one person wishes to speak on the same topic, their presentations to the Board may, at the discretion of the chair, be grouped together by topic.
- If the number of people wishing to speak under the public participation portions of the agenda is large, the chair may rule that a public hearing be scheduled or the discussion be limited on the issue in question.
- Persons speaking to the Board during public comment may make printed materials available to the Board but may not use any other form of media.
If at any time persons appearing before the Board exceed the time limitations set forth in this policy or on the agenda or if persons appearing before the Board or who are present at the Board meeting or public hearing become abusive in language or behavior, it shall be the responsibility of the chair to declare that person or persons out of order and to refuse permission to continue to address the Board, require a change in behavior and may require the person or persons to leave the premises of the Board meeting.
Published: June 4, 2021, Updated: June 4, 2021