City of Lincoln, Lincoln Public Schools: Safe and Successful Kids in our Community
The city of Lincoln and Lincoln Public Schools are coming together with the goal of: Safe and Successful Kids in our Community. To meet this goal they are proposing multifaceted action that covers increased security, mental health resources and proactive measures.
Here are the facts.
What this initiative would fund:
- Protective measures: Establish additional School Resource Officers to cover LPS middle and elementary schools, and one additional threat assessment officer.
- Preventive measures: Increase mental health services with one additional LPS social worker and additional student therapist services.
- Proactive measures: Increase leadership and staff at Community Learning Centers (CLCs) to provide a safe place for students before and after school as well as academic and enrichment opportunities that lead to success for students; and enhanced learning opportunities focused on STEAM programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) for CLC clubs and after school activities.
What is a JPA:
- A new political subdivision created between existing sub-divisions that serves the purpose of supporting and overseeing a unique effort – with a shared mission.
- In this case, a response to address unique challenges where two sub-divisions have shared and integrated interests.
- A JPA has a separate operating board made up of elected officials from both sub-divisions (the city and school district).
- This initiative will generate an estimated $2 million in the first year of existence with a 1-cent city property tax levy.
Published: April 3, 2018, Updated: April 26, 2018