LPS offers Learning Lunch lineup for 2017-18: Untold stories of our Schools
The 2017-18 lineup for the annual Lincoln Public Schools Learning Lunches series offers more “Untold Stories of our Schools” with Learning Lunches open to LPS staff and the Lincoln community – beginning with a program on Tuesday, August 29.
For all lunches: Lunches are generally held on the last Tuesday of the month in the Board Room at LPS District Office, 5905 O St. Doors to the Board Room open at noon, the program begins at 12:15 p.m., questions-and-answers happen at 12:45 p.m. Please bring your own lunch – we’ll provide dessert.
The 2017-18 season:
- Tuesday, August 29: Stories from the LPS Archives, Ed Zimmer, Historic Preservation Planner, Lincoln Planning Department.
- Tuesday, Sept. 26: “Seeds of Hope,” video from Nebraska Loves Public Schools featuring LPS staff members, special guest Oscar Pohirieth, LPS Cultural Specialist and Coordinator for the Bilingual Liaison Program.
- Tuesday, Oct. 24: School Meals: So much more than Chili and Cinnamon Rolls, Edith Zumwalt, director of Nutritional Services at LPS. * Serving chili and cinnamon rolls!
- Wednesday, Nov. 29: Social Emotional Learning: What is it and what does it look like at LPS, Carrie Erks, LPS School Social Worker.
- Tuesday, Dec. 19: Restoring Calm: LPS Response to Crisis, Brenda Leggiadro, LPS supervisor for Counselors and Social Workers; and Ursula Vernon-Hansen, facilitator, LPS Crisis Response Team.
- Tuesday, Jan. 23: Success with our Scholars, featuring LPS students and Pete Ferguson, coordinator, LPS Youth Development Team.
- Tuesday, Feb. 27: Kids vs. adults in LPS Spelling Bee, LPS Spelling Bee champions compete with LPS employees, Mindy Murphy, curriculum specialist, Secondary English Language Arts.
- Tuesday, March 27: Developing Young Men and Women, featuring Huntington Elementary School children and Rik Devney, Huntington principal.
- Tuesday, April 24: A Great Year of Achievement, highlighting LPS special education programs at Sherrill, Nuernberger and Yankee Hill Education Centers – Jane Stavem, associate superintendent of Instruction at LPS.
- Tuesday, May 15: Making Music, UKE can do it! Come try your musical talents with ukuleles, Lance Nielsen, curriculum specialist for Music at LPS.