You Are Here
- Who We Are
- Recruitment Information
- Employment Verification
- Employment Opportunities
- Risk Management
Local Substitute Information
Requirements for Obtaining a Local Substitute Teaching Certificate for Lincoln Public Schools
Step 1 Lincoln Public Schools' Requirements
- You must hold a bachelor's degree (or higher) OR be a teacher education student of senior standing.
- Complete an on-line certified local substitute teaching application which can be found under employment opportunities on our lps.org website.
- Upload an official college transcript to the application showing degree(s) or teacher preparation course work.
- After completing your online application with transcripts, you can attend the required Local Substitute Teacher Orientation - PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED BY EMAILING LKAHLER@LPS.ORG
- Complete the Gallup online interview.
Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check and will determine suitability to substitute teach based upon all of the above. If approved, Human Resources will then send a letter to the local substitute teacher candidate to take to the State Department of Education when applying for a local substitute teaching certificate.
Step 2 Nebraska Department of Education Requirements
- Complete the Nebraska Department of Education's local substitute teaching certificate application and payment on-line.
- Complete the residences in Nebraska for the immediate past 5 years on the on-line application or records of residence form or complete two fingerprint cards provided by the Teacher Certification office and the non-refundable fingerprint processing fee.
- Submit an official college transcript which reflects completion of the required course work as determined by the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Submit an official transcript for a pre-approved course to meet the Human Relations Training requirement or a written, verified narrative of employment experience which provided you with the opportunity to acquire the six skills outlined by the Teacher Certification Office.
- Submit a letter from Lincoln Public Schools requesting that you, as the local substitute teacher candidate, be granted a local substitute teacher’s certificate.
If approved, the Nebraska Department of Education will email your local substitute teacher certificate to you.
When your local substitute teaching certificate is sent to you by NDE, please bring it to Human Resources (along with your official transcripts) to register it and have a photocopy placed in your file. When your certificate is registered in Human Resources, you will then be in a position to be hired by Lincoln Public Schools.
2012-2013 Local Substitute Orientations
Friday, August 24, 2012 (Appropriate for 1st semester student teachers)
Friday, September 7, 2012 (Appropriate for 1st semester student teachers)
Friday, October 5, 2012 (Appropriate for 2nd semester student teachers)
Friday, November 9, 2012 (Appropriate for 2nd semester student teachers)
Friday, December 14, 2012 (Appropriate for 2nd semester student teachers)
These orientations will be held in the lower level of the West Gate Bank Building, 6003 Old Cheney Road from 8:00 am-1:00pm. PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED by emailing email@example.com.
Local Substitute Pay Scale
- Full Day $129.52
- Half Day $68.36